Monday, December 26, 2011

I Love the 80s: My VH1 Years

I've worked on and in television for a long time -- and I want to do more TV work.  Three of the most fun, most fulfilling and most challenging years of my career were spent working for VH1.  I am so glad I appreciated that opportunity while I had it.  How many folks have or had a job that was as much fun as a weekend off?  That's what it felt like most of the time.  Not that it was an easy job, mind you, but the experience was that much fun.  It didn't feel like labor.  I worked on VH1 from 1987 to 1990.  By the time I got offered the VJ gig, which lead to me also becoming a VH1 talk show host, I'd had national exposure doing celebrity interview features for a syndicated show called PM Magazine.  VH1 gave me a bigger platform for my interview work and humor.  Anglo author and National Public Radio contributor Henry Alford was a VH1 host/VJ in the early '90s.  In his 2000 book of humorous essays, Big Kiss, he wrote that all VH1 VJs before him were broad stand-up comedians like Gallagher, the guy who smashed melons in his act.  Personally, I'm surprised that a NPR talent would make such a blanket generalization.  I was never nor have I ever been a stand-up comedian.  But I was the first African-American talent to get his own prime time VH1 celebrity talk show, thank you very much.  Here's a VJ pic from the VH1 years showing me with fellow VJs Roger Rose and a new addition -- a charismatic comedian/actress named Rosie O'Donnell.




That was Rosie's "Sigourney Weaver-in-Alien" hairdo.  My first talk show host assignment for VH1 was taking the helm of Celebrity Hour and chatting with such show biz icons as Liza Minnelli.
I got upgraded to my own weeknight half-hour show called Watch Bobby Rivers.  The previous show had music videos mixed into the interview hour.  My show didn't.  We talked without Rick Astley, Whitney Houston, Kenny G or Fine Young Cannibals interruptions.  I had A-List guests like Mel Gibson back when he was still charming and approachable.


To this very day, I am still proud that my VH1 work got good reviews from TV Guide and People Magazine and my talk show performance got praise in a Sunday edition of The New York Times.  I know it's ancient TV history and it happened in the 1980s but here's why I still carry that work in my heart like a medal of honor:  In the 1960s, I was a child of the Civil Rights era in South Central Los Angeles.  In that decade, the decade of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and the March on Washington, Black folks were still demanding the right to vote and the right to a college education.  We certainly weren't getting gigs on network TV as hosts of our own prime time entertainment talk shows.  I attended a university in Milwaukee.  After graduation, my first professional TV job was on WISN TV, Milwaukee's ABC affiliate.  I got discovered by a local New York City station, WPIX, and was hired to work there in 1985.  In 1987, two years after I arrived in New York to start a new life working at WPIX, I moved up to national work on VH1.  In 1988, I was given my own talk show.  One more thing -- I did not have an agent.  I got myself from Milwaukee to New York City.  Three years after I arrived in New York, I was interviewing film icon Kirk Douglas on my own prime time national talk show.  That was just not supposed to happen to a guy who went to high school in Watts and lived in the curfew area of the Watts Riots.  In fact, our little house stood just four blocks away from one of the deadly fires of the Watts Riots.  If you want to see some of my VH1 work, go to YouTube and search Bobby Rivers VH1 Talk Show Host.  You'll see me with Kirk Douglas, Meryl Streep, Paul McCartney, Marlo Thomas, Raul Julia, Carlos Santana and several other top figures of the fine arts.  If you want to see where my high school was located, stay on YouTube and search Los Angeles Watts Riots 1965. That was the South Central L.A. of my youth.

I found those three photos today and just wanted to share them along with a few career memories.  By the way, Henry Alford has a new book out.  About Henry categorizing all VH1 veejays in the 1980s as unsophisticated, loud comedians in his earlier book, Big Kiss, well...he can big kiss me where the sun don't shine.












2 comments:









  1. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346















































































































































































    hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

Colman Domingo in RUSTIN

In the first ten minutes of Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN, we see Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln talking to two Black soldiers on a Ci...